Wednesday 5 April 2023

Story Time

Hello, dear reader!

It may come as something of a surprise to some of you, that I’m keen on writing.

I know it’s not always evident from these poor scribblings, but, every now and then, I am moved to put virtual pen to virtual paper and come up with a story, be it short, or somewhat more lengthy in nature, some of which I’m lucky enough to have had published.

And it’s only gone and happened again.
Ego Sum
Now, in order to curb any misplaced enthusiasm, I have to say that, although my latest effort has indeed been accepted for publication by Mythos, an imprint of the publisher Nordic Press, the anthology in which my story ‘The Yellow Door’ will dwell, is not yet available.


It will be though, and relatively soon, too (or so I’m led to believe).

The most important part, for me, is that it was accepted. This isn’t just an ego thing, although I am just about self aware enough to know my fragile sense of worth as a writer is a more than generous part of the equation.

No, it’s the fact that it ends a poor run of stories that haven’t been picked up.

That’s probably not all that different from the ego thing. I mean, yes, it is always nice to know that someone, somewhere, has seen merit in those few thousand words you spent weeks putting in something like the right order, editing, re-editing, and then, after drumming up a little courage, adding to an email and pressing send. The corollary is also true, however.

Waiting Is

When, a few months after that email has been sent, the in–box remains firmly empty (apart from the usual mixture of adverts, appointments, and notifications of refunds from the tax man that just require all my personal info and access to my bank account), a subtle sense of failure starts to emerge.

There’s a thought that my work hasn’t measured up in some way. The idea that the characters I’ve crafted, the tale I’ve told isn’t good enough. A feeling that I’ve written into the void. That my story will remain just for me, without anyone else getting to read it.

After the usual rechecking that the email was sent to the right place, had all the right information included, and met the deadline, I usually find enough mental fortitude to kiss the story in question goodbye and move on to other things. Usually.

No Doubt
The last year or so, however, has been notably unproductive in published tales. I think there have been three short stories I’ve written on which radio silence has been the only response. It’s still not a bad result, overall, given the acceptances I’ve had (see the links a couple of lines under the sign-off to this post if you fancy a gander), but coming one on top of the other, in response to stories I really rather like, it started me asking questions. Doubting. You know, doing the imposter syndrome, writer thing.

So, yeah, the acceptance came at just the right time for me. It bolstered my belief, let my ego have a moment in the sun, out of the shadow of self-doubt.

The questions I should probably ask myself is, do I need the acceptances and the kind words to help me feel the acts of creation I spend so much time crafting have value, in and of themselves? Is a piece of writing only as good as its readership, or can it have merit simply by being? Is the enjoyment (enjoyment?) I get from writing not enough? Am I really shallow enough to count how many people read this blog on a weekly basis even though it’s not linked to any material benefit (spoiler: I am).


It’s weird; possibly unhealthy, but I attach importance to my writing above and beyond the simple act itself. I need a mirror to reflect that in, and it matters more than it should, but I don’t know how to stop it doing so.

And on a not unrelated note, I will, of course, let you know when ‘Eldritch Investigations’ the anthology carrying my story will be available. Please say nice things about it.

Until next time.…


New Tales Of Old: Volume 2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TMVTX9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Death Ship
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9198684140/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TWEMTA3KWK7T89QEZPF6?fbclid=IwAR322Fx5nfgVUQAA62ZZ6CUsNnBm8pbSxPanzz6Qkjg3vAv4ESipq7iKKhs

https://www.waterstones.com/book/death-ship/david-green/s-o-green/9789198684148?fbclid=IwAR2gP4CXHSG7wTccO39wOqXFtI81k0259Ep8DUM48Ki6kTUdlKoF3yafojA

No comments:

Post a Comment