Wednesday 6 March 2024

Flushed!

Hello, dear reader!

Well, with the golden anniversary of my sainted parents now a thing of the recent past it’s time to sober up, refocus, and get on with one of the major challenges planned in for 2024.

No, I’m not talking about the perennially knackered wheelchair (although that is on the horizon), nor am I doing much planning for the upcoming combos of my nieces 18th, step-daughter’s 24th, and Mother’s day.

No, the challenge Is more bathroom based.

That 70's Show
Now that I have your attention, I should probably mention that I’m not talking of anything to unsavoury here. I’m not going to be pouring forth about, well, pouring forth, or any other unseemly bodily functions. What I will be talking about is the ramshackle, partly decorated, and only just fit for purpose room itself.


It hasn’t always been the case. When we first bought our property, it was already fitted with a fully-functional, rather hefty suite, complete with bath, in a lovely shade of olive-green. It wasn’t in any way fancy, could only just be called accessible, and had a tendency to give one headache that came with a whiff of vol-au-vents, flared trousers, and the rather dodgy hair-cut my dad was wearing in the photo I saw at the weekend’s celebrations.

It was still better then than it was after we let the council loose on it, though.

Rip It Up & Start Again
This was work paid for with some funding we received from said council to make the bathroom into a more accessible Wet Room after my MS diagnosis. The work went, as these things tend to do, to the lowest bidder, and proved that you get what you pay for in this world. The one wall of white tiles, small electric shower, sink I’m informed is meant for a cloakroom, toilet that moves if you sit down too hard, and drains that doesn’t very well, complement the bare plaster, and one and half walls of original olive green in a unique way I like to call building site chic. It makes the shower experience one best experienced quickly and, ideally, with one’s eyes closed.

So, it was time to get a few quotes.

We’ve had three so far. Two from companies that deal specifically with adapted bathrooms, and one from a major high street retailer. Each visit provides us with new options and considerations we hadn’t really thought about (Splashboards or tiles? Square or rounded toilet? Electric shower of plumbed in? Spotlights? A concave sink?). It’s a lot to think about. Colour won’t be too much of an issue, as Tina (the lovely lady I managed to talk into marrying me) seems to have reserved last say on that (sandstone is out, pebble-grey is in—the flooring needs to be darker). It’s still a lot, though.

And that’s before you mention money.


We have a very specific pot, to get things done, a sum I’ve kept to myself in order to prevent quotes from spookily matching that exact amount, and one potential provider has already managed to rule themselves out on that basis (and they were doing so well!).

Price Match
The question now is, whether to stick with the remaining two, very similar quotes, or to go out and get another couple. Tina’s training for her new job is continuing apace (to the point I had to arm wrestle her for control of the laptop. You’ll pardon any typos, she has a very strong grip), so time is becoming just a little bit of an issue, but there’s always that nagging doubt that someone else might be able to do better for cheaper.


I think one more likely suspect, and the pre-arranged visit might be the limit of our reserves. After that it will be time for a think, a bit of ip-dip-doo, and the plumping of a plumber

It’s enough to leave you feeling flushed!

Until next time…


#


Hey, there! If you enjoyed reading any of the above, why not take a look at some of my published work? Below you’ll find links to a number of short stories I’m lucky enough to have included in anthologies. I’d love to know what you think


New Tales Of Old


Death Ship


Pestilence: Drabbles 1


Reaperman: Drabbles 3


The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu


Eldritch Investigations

No comments:

Post a Comment