Wednesday 1 March 2023

The Big Question

Hello, dear reader!

And near miss number two.

Yes, once again, this week’s blog post is one that very nearly didn’t happen.

The reason for this is my continuing patchy health. My right hand is still kind of numb, making typing…interesting, and I’m not entirely sure about my right leg (due to my disability, I have limited sensation in my lower limbs, the less the lower you get, so feelings of numbness are hard to detect). Oh, and my right eye is still problematic, too, with focussing issues and the odd bout of item displacement (that’s things appearing slightly off in my field of vision, not just me losing stuff). It's, um, interesting, and led to one of my patented, half-yearly lifestyle changes.

Good Intentions
Yup, you guessed it. My less than perfect health has once again prompted within me the urge to get healthy. Something I should probably be pretty good at, by now.

If you’ve had the questionable pleasure of wading through these self-indulgent scribblings before you might have picked up a trend regarding my self-improving intentions.



I start with good intentions. I do. I buy the veggies, look up the recipes, commit to the exercise, and for a few blissful weeks, throw myself into it. I’m good. I behave. I stick to the plan.

And then…

Snowballs
It starts small. One bit of bad weather which makes the dog walk unfeasible, one weak-willed kebab in place of a meal that needs cooking. That kind of thing.

Not to say that on their own these isolated incidents can hijack the veggies and exercise regime, but these things have, in my experience, a tendency to snowball into something bigger and badder.

That treat night. Those crisps. That chocolate. That drink. All of these have a tendency to announce themselves on my taste buds and my blood sugars with alarming efficiency. These are good things. Tasty things. These release endorphins, and spike nero-receptors in strange and satiating ways. They break through the barriers of self-denial and discipline and cry out a siren-song of short lived satisfaction. This is nice. This is good. I want more.

Question Time
I guess what I’m trying to outline, in my over-florid way, is the very human sin of greed, of which I am a firm subscriber. Put sweet, fried, or carb laden food in front of me and I’ll do my best to demolish the lot. It’s an impulse that is very easy to give in to.



So, what makes this time different? Well, not a lot. There’s obviously a degree of self-knowledge as you can probably tell, but how can I turn that into long term habits?

No, seriously, I’m asking—How do I do this? How do I take my good intentions and make them last longer than a few months? How do I find a way to get the most from food and the limited exercise I am capable of? How do I stop the snowball effect? If you have any good ideas, pop them into the comments for me, because enquiring minds would very much like to know.

A To B
To be clear, I’m not in the market for fad diets or juice-cleanses (and I’m not sticking coffee up my bum for anyone!). I know what to eat, and, to a lesser degree, how to keep myself active. The help I need is in doing it. It’s setting up the habits, and ingraining them into life. Making them sustainable.

There will always be a blip, I’m imperfect enough to realise that, but one blip does not a carb-laden food-fest make. So how do I stop A leading to B

I realise, as I write this, that any and all suggestions, as welcome as they will be, might have to wait a week or so to be fully implemented. There’s our (that’s myself and my wunder-wifey, Tina) three day trip to ‘that London’, a mini-break in which we’ve agreed holiday rules apply (said rule being the word ‘No’ does not exist) . There’s also the possibility that I might be put on steroids to treat the latest Ms flare up; something which I know from personal experience can turn me into a ravenous hulk-like creature, foraging every cupboard and fridge shelf for food (or anything faintly resembling food). These are short term things, though, and I’m thinking beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment