Wednesday 22 December 2021

Time And Date

Hello, dear readers!

And a very merry Xmas to one and all!

Yup, it’s that time again, (or it will be in three short days). Hopefully, this time we can avoid the lockdown hokey-cokey, at least until Boxing Day, or, I don't know have our very own business meeting in the garden with wine and cheese (and turkey, natch).

Whatever the case may be, this year the Seated Perspective household is actually pretty well prepared. Yes, there’s a turkey still to buy, but it’s been sourced and saved for us, so all is good there. There also a few presents that need wrapping as well, and I might, at risk of sellotaping my elbows together, actually give that a go myself this year, but apart from those details, that’s it. All preparations nicely prepared. Everything done.

Well, apart from the promised follow up to last week’s post.

Rinse and Repeat
It was, if you recall, all about the pre-Xmas family meet up, and the rather lovely food we enjoyed. Most of the folks had the turkey, while I went for the (more expensive) steak option.

Two days later, I went for it again.


This time, the occasion was a much (much, much, much) postponed and delayed ‘date-night’ with Tina, the woman I am endlessly proud to call my wife.

The Meat Of The Matter

As is the case for the vast majority in these Covid-19 days, we have been social butterflies with clipped wings. The occasional meal out together becoming something of a fond memory. It meant when my parents gave us a sum of money for Christmas, with the express instructions, we were to spend it on something nice for ourselves we took them up on their offer and booked a table at a local Miller & Carter steakhouse.

It’s a place we’ve been to before, but that was some years ago, before semi-regular shut-downs, masks, social distancing, and all the rest of it, so we sort of, kinda, knew what to expect. Of course, time does make the memory just a little less reliable, and there was still a small twinge of discomfort at the thought of sharing the air with too many strangers (especially with the recent Omicron variant). Turns out I needn’t have worried.

The place was almost exactly as we remembered, except the staff were all masked and the tables a little more spaced out. As we settled down with a pre-dinner drink, however, the familiarity began to relax me. The alcohol may have had a helping hand in said relaxation too, of course; and as the night went on, it kept right on helping.

Halfway through that first Jack ‘n’ coke, the server came to tell us our table was ready, and we moved to a small table-for-two, tucked away in a corner. A small partition stood between us and the nearest group table, giving us a sense of cosy containment and (possibly false) safety. After a short wait, our be-masked server introduced herself, and gave us both the food and the drink menus… and that was when the cocktails started.


Of course, we weren’t there (just) for the drinks, so as I sipped on a Long Island Iced Tea, I took a look at the food offering. For starters, I chose the rum glazed chicken wings, and Tina, the BBQ beef croquettes. Then we turned to the mains.

Good Gravy!
Tere was a reasonably wide offering. You didn’t have to have steak, there was chicken, fish, lamb, and even some vegetarian dishes to choose from, too, but personally, if I’m going to a steakhouse then I’m getting a steak (call me a traditionalist if you must). The only question was which one.

There was rump, sirloin, even fillet mignon, all available in different weights, and aged to different degrees, but in the end we both went for 16oz Ribeyes (Tina medium, me medium rare). Both were served with fries (Tina upgraded to sweet potato), an onion loaf, and a wedge of lettuce. From there you could choose from a selection of steak sauces and wedge dressings. We both went for the beef dripping gravy, which may have been the best bit of the whole meal, and should be available on tap, but while Tina chose to drench her lettuce wedge in bacon, honey and mustard, I chose a strong ‘n’ stinky blue cheese and Stilton. Yum.

The food, it has to be said, was very tasty, as was the Manhattan I had with it. The steak was thick, juicy and well cooked (I might go for rare if we go again, but that’s a minor thing), the sides added variety and texture, and the beef dripping gravy? Well, I could take a bath in it.

Save The Date
We weren’t out just for the very tasty food, of course, but a long awaited time to spend time together in a relaxed, social setting that wasn’t our own four walls too, a chance to kick back, relax and reclaim a little normality and, as we tucked into a sharing pud of Knickerbocker Glory Sundae, it felt amazingly good to be in such cosy, convivial surroundings with a pile of ice-cream, the woman I love, and two spoons. The Espresso martini? Yeah, that was a bonus, too.


Of course, as I mentioned earlier, the season is upon us. The tree is up, and soon enough we’ll be tucking into turkey and all the trimmings (hold the sprouts). That will be with relatives, though, and although they’re all wonderful people in their own right, it will mean I will have to share my focus between the group. It will also mean I have to share Tina’s attention. I won’t say the day will be any less enjoyable for it, or the food any less delicious, but it won’t just be us. It won't be just me and the wife, and I think our second helping of steak just goes to show how important and valuable nights like that, especially in these interesting times, are... for any couple.

Have a great Christmas, and I’ll see you next time.

***

Hey, folks! If you would care to take a look at some of my more creative writing, then the links below will transport you to the magical worlds of two anthologies my short (and in one case, very short) stories have been included in. Feel free to check’em out!

Death Ship

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9198684140/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TWEMTA3KWK7T89QEZPF6?fbclid=IwAR322Fx5nfgVUQAA62ZZ6CUsNnBm8pbSxPanzz6Qkjg3vAv4ESipq7iKKhs

https://www.waterstones.com/book/death-ship/david-green/s-o-green/9789198684148?fbclid=IwAR2gP4CXHSG7wTccO39wOqXFtI81k0259Ep8DUM48Ki6kTUdlKoF3yafojA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9198684140/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2XZ7JICGUQ1CX&psc=1&fbclid=IwAR2Wa6sGxb82_VCsC7l1CGXwHjsSwTheqba6jDX_G8EDsywZoGpC93nXr2w

Reaperman

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reaperman-Drabbles-3-Legends-Night-ebook/dp/B099NNPTQ1A

No comments:

Post a Comment