Thursday, 24 September 2026

The Holiday Delay Delay

Hello, dear reader!

I’m back!

Yes, after no less than four whole weeks away from you, I have returned refreshed, reinvigorated, and only ever so slightly on the poorly side. Because there’s not one but two delays that have contributed to this extended period of radio silence.
Jet Lag
Delay numero uno was my preplanned and much anticipated holiday to Turkey from which I returned in the early hours of last Wednesday morning, entirely too tired from my four-hour night flight to put any words in anything like the right order that would equate to a legible blog post.

No, discretion was most definitely the better part of valour in that particular instance and so, as I had the foresight to postpone that particular post in advance, it was an easy win.


And then came the lurgy.

This was something that hit me over the weekend. It started out as what I thought might be a cold, a factor of the climate change from sunny Turkey to chilly England. As time went by, it revealed itself to be something a little more nefarious.

Spreading The Word
Not that there was anything specifically acute about my malady. A bunged-up achiness, complete with perma-headache, hacking, tickly cough, and creeping sense of lethargy was about the sum of it. It still made an enforced day on the road yesterday more than a little taxing, though, and certainly enough to turn blog writing into a two-hour nap and a lot of staring into space—enough to turn a three week absence into a three week and one day absence.

But, as I said, I’m back with reports on our (that’s myself and my legally bound partner-in-crime, Tina) trip to Turkey, two whole weeks of sun, fun, bingo, and some book related hijinks.


Because I took a couple of author copies of The Heart That Died, my debut novel, with us, utilising the stunning scenery and friendly folk to take some promotional photos, mainly for use on Instagram. Those books then got given away to some of our favourite staff members at the hotel, meaning the book now exists in the wild in at least four different countries.

Bath Time
Other than that, we wanted to avoid too much of the ground already covered and, as well as our base of Marmaris and the exact same hotel we stayed in last year, we took in some of the delights of neighbouring Icmeler as well as spending a little more time in The Grand Bazaar, having a Turkish Bath and being just a touch braver with our food choices (Iskender Kebabs are amazing) and even trying the language a bit.

Of course, we still took the time to hit the highlights. It wouldn’t be a trip to Marmaris without seeing The Dancing Fountains, for instance, but I think we hit the stated aim of eating something new, drinking something new, seeing something new, and doing something new.



Overall, however, with everything that has happened of late, the holiday was a chance to unwind and relax in a setting that is becoming quite familiar to us, and something of a home-from-home, only with sun and dirt cheap restaurants. Thus it was that a decent amount of our time was spent in and around the pool, reading, splashing about, and generally living the good life.

Thank you Marmaris and Club Atrium. See you next year!


Until next time!




#





Hey, there! If you enjoyed reading any of the above, why not take a look at some of my published work? Below you’ll find links to a number of short stories I’m lucky enough to have included in anthologies. I’d love to know what you think. My debut novel, The Heart That Died, is available now as both paperback, E-book, and on Kindle Unlimited, so I’m adding the link to that, too.

Oh, and if you like what you look-see, a nice, positive review would also be most welcome.

The Heart That Died


New Tales Of Old


Death Ship


Pestilence: Drabbles 1


Reaperman: Drabbles 3


The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu


Eldritch Investigations

No comments:

Post a Comment