Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Fixed Perspective

Hello, dear reader!

So, it's little me again - coming through with my promises as always. I upheld my end of the bargain today which was an offer to share my thoughts in the blog.

Meh
Today is one of those ‘ meh ‘ days, when nothing in particular has bothered me or stressed me out, but an upcoming funeral might just be playing with my little brain. I have a sneaky habit of worrying about something days or even months before it happens, spoiling upcoming days and filling them with anxiety and worry. I am pretty sure I'm not the only person who falls into this habit, right?


At the ripe old age of 51, I have begun to notice life through a different perspective. Perspective is a funny old word, and a word that I often use when I am working with people who have complex trauma. Having some kind of perspective is difficult when you are going through a dramatic event in your life.

According to the amazing Wikipedia, there are 3 forms of perspectives.

There is
  • Visual perspective - the way objects appear to the eye
  • Graphical perspective -a way to represent the effect of visual perspective in drawings
  • Cognitive perspective - referring to one's point of view or unique opinion or way of seeing something.
I vividly recall - as part of my mental health recovery journey ( which is still ongoing of course ) that changing my perspective could rapidly change the outcome of a situation or a thought. A really simple example of this would be my attitude to rain.

Right As Rain
Initial thoughts would tell me it's wet and uncomfortable, but changing my thought process just slightly, I could see the benefits of the rain in nature. Yes it would drench me, but it would also provide moisture and vital nutrients to the plants and the trees that I love to look at. The amazing thing is, the more I looked at the simple things, the more I began to look at the even bigger things from a different perspective.


For years and years, our bodies have learned to adapt to their surroundings really effectively. Even sweating when it gets too hot to actually cool our bodies down is a clever adaptation. Even physical pain has its purpose …. It alerts us to an injury or something going on in our bodies that needs attention. Pain happens for a reason.

Gaining some sort of perspective back in my life has taken some real effort. At times I have found myself having to re -learn how to react to certain situations, and when you are 51, old habits really do die hard. Even simply stopping the action, or slowing down the thought can put things and life back into perspective.

So, why did I wake up this morning feeling ‘ meh ‘ when I know all of these things?
 
The Day Today
The excuse that i am just human doesn't always wash, the excuse that i am old doesn't (or shouldn't) wash either. The simple fact is we can know how to better cope with the shite that life often throws at us, but we get so self absorbed and worried that we forget to put our knowledge into practice.


Bridging that gap between learning and doing is a deliberate and determined personal choice. When my mind wandered early this morning and reminded me of the funeral I am going to on Friday (causing worry and anxiety), I clearly should have put those worries into perspective. Friday is two days away, forty-eight hours or so. Why should I waste my time stressing about it now. I should be thinking of my best friend from school whose mum's funeral I am going to. Sympathising with her pain and her grief.

As soon as those new perspectives have been put in place, straight away my mood lifts and my sight becomes clearer - focussed out and around me, and not inward.


Until next time!




#





Hey, there! If you enjoyed reading any of the above, why not take a look at some of my published work? Below you’ll find links to a number of short stories I’m lucky enough to have included in anthologies. I’d love to know what you think. My debut novel, The Heart That Died, is available now as both paperback, E-book, and on Kindle Unlimited, so I’m adding the link to that, too.

Oh, and if you like what you look-see, a nice, positive review would also be most welcome.

The Heart That Died


New Tales Of Old



Death Ship



Pestilence: Drabbles 1



Reaperman: Drabbles 3



The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu


Eldritch Investigations




No comments:

Post a Comment