Thursday 9 February 2023

All The Best

Hello, dear reader!

Evening all!

Yes, only 24 hours late it’s time for this week’s blog post!

The reason for this aberration will become clear as we progress, but it may or may not be directly influenced by lashing and lashings of alcoholic beverage (hint: It does).

So, with apologies for the tardiness, shall we begin?

On Plan
The underlying reason for yesterday’s overexuberance was a preplanned meet up with one of my very bestest friends and his much-much-much better half.


This was an event long overdue, mainly due to the advent of Covid shutting the world down, but as Dez and Lucy (the couple in question) have moved out of the county, and had some time off from their busy schedules to be busy with moving and all that goes with that, we scheduled in some post-lunch drinks in a local (To Tina and me) pub.

Farm Fed
It was a venue we’d met up at before; one that we all knew the location of (although apparently not the name - eh Mr. Taylor?), but it was also one that had received a recent change of ownership and make-over. It all added up to an ideal opportunity to suss out what is probably our localist local in the company of good people.

Now, just going back to the missing post from yesterday. It was always my intention to get something down, even if it were just a couple of lines, With the meet-up already planned in, and my life otherwise being spectacularly free of incident, other than last week’s funeral (see here for details), it seemed an ideal opportunity to ‘content farm’.

Jack Daniels and his Tennessee whiskey had other ideas.

Live And In Person

It was only meant to be a few, I swear it was. But, as the usual banter began to flow between my self and Dez, a man(?) I’ve know for some twenty-odd years (that ‘odd being in the latter part of the decade, although the years themselves were somewhat odd) so did the J.D. I bought the first one (because Tina and I got there on time), but I do seem to remember Mr. Taylor being more than generous from there on it. I’m not sure if he was trying to get me drunk, or why he might, but rest assured, my honour remained intact.


I do remember (however hazily) that it was good to catch up in person. Dez and I have done remote drinks over the pandemic years, but a live meet-up has a different energy to it, and the addition of the ladies added another layer to the well-spun tales of old glories and old gorys. It was a decent reminder, if reminder was needed, of the importance of maintaining and nourishing such deep and long-standing friendships. The importance of staying in touch with the people who have stayed in your life through the years.

Touching Distance
The thing about such people, of which Dez is a prime example, is how easy it all becomes (No matter how difficult Dez sometimes tries to make it), and how much goes without saying. It’s like, even after a matter of months, you’re picking up exactly where you left off, like an ongoing conversation over an extended period, with extended breaks, that just keeps getting richer and richer each time you pick it up.

I don’t have all that many friends, being a little of the introverted persuasion, but the ones I do have tend to be of this type, People who have, for whatever reason, chosen to stay in my life over a long period. People I feel comfortable with and will, on occasion, even make some kind of effort to stay in touch with. Could I do better at that? Undoubtedly. Will I? Well, I’ll intend to. I’ll try. I might, however, put things off, or just plain forget. Yeah, that sounds like me.



And The Rest Is…
As for the rest of the day? Well, the drinks and the banter made it just that much easier to stay in the pub until it was sufficiently late enough, and I was sufficiently drunk enough, that a blog post was unlikely. I’m sorry to say that you, my dear readers, were replaced by a curry, a game of football, and, uh, some more drinks. Sorry.

That being said, in the state I was, I might have managed to make less sense than I usually do.
 

Until next time.

***

Hey, folks! If you would care to take a look at some of my more creative writing, then the links below will transport you to the magical worlds of a few anthologies my short (and in two cases, very short) stories have been included in. Feel free to check ’em out!

New Tales Of Old: Volume 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TMVTX9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Death Ship

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9198684140/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TWEMTA3KWK7T89QEZPF6?fbclid=IwAR322Fx5nfgVUQAA62ZZ6CUsNnBm8pbSxPanzz6Qkjg3vAv4ESipq7iKKhs

https://www.waterstones.com/book/death-ship/david-green/s-o-green/9789198684148?fbclid=IwAR2gP4CXHSG7wTccO39wOqXFtI81k0259Ep8DUM48Ki6kTUdlKoF3yafojA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9198684140/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2XZ7JICGUQ1CX&psc=1&fbclid=IwAR2Wa6sGxb82_VCsC7l1CGXwHjsSwTheqba6jDX_G8EDsywZoGpC93nXr2w

Reaperman

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reaperman-Drabbles-3-Legends-Night-ebook/dp/B099NNPTQ1A

Pestilence

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pestilence-Revelations-Black-Ink-Fiction/dp/B09MDLZGHY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2VP38WZDWJVAF&keywords=black+ink+fiction&qid=1654090896&sprefix=black+ink+fiction%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1

The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musketeers-Cthulhu-Court-King-Louis-ebook/dp/B09YQKQQB7/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2VP38WZDWJVAF&keywords=black+ink+fiction&qid=1654091002&sprefix=black+ink+fiction%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-18

No comments:

Post a Comment