Wednesday 13 January 2021

Query Time

Hello, dear readers!

Variety, they say, is the spice of life. I’m not sure which spice, exactly. Maybe it’s a good fruity chilli, or perhaps my all-time favourite, put it in everything I cook, go to, smoked paprika. I’m not sure, and it doesn’t really matter. The point is we all need a change of pace every now and then.

The reason I mention this is that I’ve noticed a definite theme emerging in these poor scribblings. A subject matter that reappears, again and again and again. Popping its head around the door of just about every post I’ve written in the last few months. For this post, I’ve sworn off that particular subject matter. I’m not going to mention what it is. That would be self-defeating. But It’s something which has affected us all since early last year and for many, redefined life as we know it. I’ll let you come to your own conclusions from there.

So here we go. A blog post, that’s not about that. A post which instead will head down the rabbit-hole of meta-commentary. Today I’d like to write about writing.

Write On
For those of you that don’t know, I fancy myself as something of a writer. I think part of me always has. I live a fair part of my life in the wilds of my own imagination, and stories are something that have always drawn me to them. 



It seems, therefore, a natural step to get these ideas which pop into my head down on paper. To tell the story which has just occurred to me. To work out the answer to ‘what would happen if…” It turns out it’s not quite as simple as that.

School Daze
I was never the best student throughout my schooldays. Not the worst, you understand, but also nowhere near the best. I think at least some of that can be put down to a lack of attention. Give me something which interests me. Some odd fact, or a thought that needs unpicking, and I’m your man. I’ll lose myself in it. Get absorbed by the how and the why of it. Ask me to learn some facts by rote, or get into something dry which doesn’t engage my imagination and, well, not so much. It probably explains why I like English, History, Science, and Drama but hated Maths, and French (and Latin for one brief, ill advised and excruciating term.) As for P.E. The less said about that, the better.

It’s also the reason I find it easy to get lost in a book or a T.V show. Give me a new world to explore. A new way of looking at something, and I’m a happy man. Give me a book that explores themes. A show that presents me with an interesting concept or layered characters and I’m in hog ( or any other given farmyard animal’s) heaven.



Geek Out
It’s probably natural, therefore, to go from reading and watching these explorations to setting off on an expedition of one’s own. I first got my literary toes wet in the murky waters of fanfic (Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Doctor Who. And yes, I am am extremely tragic geek. Thank-you for asking) while working one of a series of soulless, repetitive jobs. It added variety to my pre-married life and allowed me to indulge my interests in a community which was both supportive and informative. I really should pop my head around the door again at some point.

The next stage came some years later in 2015. This was the year after I was made redundant from a job I’d held for some twelve years. As part of my resolution to look around for something more meaningful, I was advised to start a blog. This would give me a portfolio of some kind I could show to someone should an opportunity in communications or marketing (two areas I thought I might like to try) come along. That blog was this blog. Yup, I’ve been doing this for almost 6 years. I’m nothing if not persistent.

Then came MS. After diagnosis, I made the decision to quit working and concentrate on my health and the quality of my life. It got rid of a lot of stress, but it it also gave me a lot of spare time to fill. With optimistic naivety, I decided I would fulfil an ambition and write a book. This was two and a bit years ago.

The Moving Finger
In that time I have written a first draft. foolishly thought that was it and sent out a few queries. I’ve then gone through a round of editing, got some feedback, driven my wife, Tina mad worrying about it, and again, foolishly thought that was it. Editing and foolishness have gone hand in hand since then, along with the wonderful help of some fantastic members of the writing community on Twitter (Cecille, Chelsea, Paula I’m thinking of you), but now I think I may be ready for one last moment of foolishness. Next week I query in earnest.



The book is as good as it’s ever going to get. I’ve corrected the spelling, grammar, and sentence structure as much as I can. I’ve got other people to do the same. I’ve run it through software, taken commas out, put commas back in. Thought long and hard over deep point of view and character development. Made sure my main character’s backstory is consistent; and finally, taken that comma back out (Who was it who invented the rules around commas? I’d like a word). The book is done. It’s written. Now it’s time to set it free. To seek representation from a literary agent interested in the dark romance of Urban Fantasy, and from there, a publisher. 

Buy The Book
It’s going to be a long slog, I know, and I’m going to get a lot of rejections. But at least I’m comfortable that if I’m told ‘no’ it won’t be due to a lack of effort. It won’t be because I’ve not done as much as I can to make it the best it can be. The first email is going out on Monday. The first reply, well who knows. All I’d ask of you, my dear reader, is to wish me luck. Oh, and if you hear of a likely agency looking for a novice novel writer with no qualifications, to give lots of money to, drop me their name, yeah.



Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment