Sunday 31 December 2017

The Year of Living Dangerously

Hello dear readers!

And a belated merry Christmas to one and all.

You may have noticed that The Seated Perspective has been the Silent Perspective of late. This was due to a sudden (if not wholly unexpected) outbreak of festive business coupled with a small family matter that meant that any blog post would have contained nothing but wholly inappropriate venting… and maybe a few naughty words.

However, that was then and this is now. So let us put such matters behind us and move on... by taking a look back.

A Life Jacket Maybe?
2016 was not a good year for myself and my increasingly lovely wife, Tina. Not by a long chalk. In fact, as you can read here, it was “a never ending progression of free-falling terror rides into the excrement filled pits of darkest Hades”. Hyperbole is a wonderful thing, (the most wonderful thing ever in the history of the universe… ever!), but it really did feel like life had something against us.


If you’ve had a read of the blog post under the link you will also see that I started 2017 resolving to draw a line in the sand and to face the coming twelve months with optimism. I might even have mentioned something to Tina, along the lines of “well at least next year can’t get any worse”. Which in hindsight was just silly, as life, as if hearing these words, took one look at the situation and said “hold my coat boys, this is gonna be special”.

High Hopes & False Starts
It was such a promising start too. New jobs for both myself and Tina, that neither of us hated. A new house that we were quickly turning into a home. There was even the advent of our 5th wedding anniversary beckoning coyly on the horizon, and special secret plans (a romantic surprise trip back to Paris where I popped the question) to mark the occasion. Really, as we got to the half way point of the year it was all looking, well, quite good really.

Then, as long time sufferers of this esteemed blog will no doubt recall, came the defining moment of 2017. My diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis.

This has led to life pretty much being turned upside down for Tina and I. Work has become unmanageable, at least for the time being. The world of claiming benefits has become something I’ve become far too knowledgeable about, and as a result pennies are having to be counted where once pounds would have been freely spent.



Homework
The house, well that has gone through some changes too. I now have a shower where once I had a bath, in order to guard against MS related accidents. The already planned door widening and ramp building have also been sped up, leading to a more accessible and safer home. Of course, due to the local council’s insistence that any work did not result in ‘betterment’ of what was already there, this has also resulted in a mismatched, half finished bathroom, unpainted woodwork, and holes in the wall around the widened doors, but then I suppose you can’t have everything, and hopefully the workmen might just come back to make good on at least some of that… maybe

As for the romantic weekend break, well, as I got out of hospital just the week before we were due to fly, that didn’t happen. After a bit of wrangling (reminder to self, get insurance sorted quicker next time) the holiday company in question did agree that, due to the extraordinary circumstances, they would refund the money in the form of credit, so maybe we can get away somewhere this year, insurance costs allowing that is.

Tales Of The Half Expected
So, yeah. As 2018 speeds towards us, it finds us neither healthier nor wealthier (I’m pretty sure wiser is out too). It does find me in particular though, filled with a bloody minded determination to squeeze everything I can out of the year. Really, when all is said and done, I’m a lucky man. I have a wonderful wife, fantastic family and a new series of Doctor Who to spend an inordinate amount of forum time on (Come on 13 you lovely Yorkshire lass you!) so maybe it’s a time to remember that and look forward to the future. I’m not going to say that 2018 has to be better (it is under no such obligation) but if it’s predecessor has taught me anything is that life is full of the unexpected.



There could be setbacks ahead, or lottery wins (although I believe, for the latter, buying a ticket is customary... might have to look into that). We’ve been through a lot in the last two years have Tina and I, but in the meantime life’s unrelenting progression continues apace. It’s there to be lived is this life. It’s there to be enjoyed. and Multiple Sclerosis or not, I fully intend to enjoy as much of 2018 as is possible.

And on that note, dear readers, I will sign off for the year. Have a fantastic New Years Eve and a brilliant 2018.

Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment