Saturday 22 April 2017

Old Friends & News

Hello dear readers!

Yes, it’s another Saturday evening post.

With my current work commitments and a four week rolling rota to adhere to it is becoming just a little difficult to maintain consistency in posting my weekly offering to you, my dear readers. It has meant some posts popping up on a Saturday, some on a Sunday, and one even showing up on a Monday. The funny thing is that, even though this particular post is a day early, it is, at the same time, a week late.

The reason for this shocking lack of alacrity is the need to keep a certain piece of news under wraps. Allow me to explain.

Just The One
The story starts with a meal out with some friends a couple of weeks ago. It was a long overdue catch up, the usual difficulty of sifting through peoples availability and coming out with a date that suited everybody proving to be just as much of a social conundrum as usual.

The small but select gathering was with people I have known for over twenty years you see. In the glory days of our youths such get-togethers would have been weekly or even bi-weekly affairs, usually at the local boozer, an establishment where everyone did indeed know your name (and on occasion were even glad you came). Those were the carefree days of youth though, days without responsibility, days where an hour’s notice was plenty to pop out for a pint.




A Curry In No Hurry
As time has passed so have lives changed. These days, with spouses and partners, children, greater distances to overcome, and of course the ever present inconveniences of the working life coming into play, have meant that any gathering needs to be organised at least a couple of months in advance, is often subject to last minute changes, and doesn’t always have a full guest list.

Luckily, this time, everyone was there. I say luckily because this particular meal was one that I wouldn’t have missed for the world.

The venue for our rendezvous was an Indian restaurant back in my old stomping ground of the Pudsey/Bramley area of Leeds. A superb curry (lamb and spinach Karahi, thanks for asking) had been eaten, along with a healthy amount of Tina’s left overs, the banter had been bubbling along as per usual and my thoughts were starting to turn to the journey home. That’s when a bombshell was dropped, one that had nothing to do with the amount of spicy food that had been consumed.

Great Expectations
To put you in the picture, at least three of my closest friends in the whole world are of the female persuasion. These are the people I was meeting that night, ladies with whom I share a long and alcohol soaked history. The relationships have always remained firmly platonic with Harry stating firmly away from Sally but these are people that have stayed in my life for a long time and whose presence there I value hugely. I was therefore chuffed to the proverbial when one of the ladies announced to the table that she was pregnant.



The lady in question (who for the purposes of this blog will remain nameless) has always, for as long as I have known her, adamantly maintained that she had no interest in having children. This is despite being one of the most natural people around the little ankle biters that I have ever seen, and a wonderful auntie to her nephew. You can imagine therefore that the news was somewhat unexpected for all around the table and much gasping and exclaiming ensued.

A Womb With A View
After the questions regarding the whats, whens, and hows (get your mind out of the gutter!) had been fielded the obligatory scan photo was produced and passed around. I’m not sure if it’s the improving technology but for perhaps the first time when looking at such a scan it didn’t take multiple angles and somebody pointing out a foot for me to see what it was actually a scan of.



Now long term readers that myself and my lovely wife, Tina would dearly love a child of our own (see here) but have so far not been lucky in this endeavour. The news then had the potential to have somewhat of a bitter-sweet edge. I am glad to say however that this did not materialise. Yes, myself and Tina may have exchanged a far too knowing glance at one point but we were, are, and always will be genuinely thrilled and excited for the new mum-to-be. In fact if anything I think that the wonderfully unexpected news has only strengthened or resolve to feel that joy first hand. A look at diet, exercise, and that well overdue visit to the doctor then are most definitely on the cards.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment