Sunday 13 March 2016

Up And Away.



Hello Dear Readers!

Before we get into the meat of this week’s post, I’d like to issue an apology, just in case this post falls below my usual lofty standards. You see, the last couple of days have seen your friendly neighbourhood seated person come down with what I can only describe as… the lurgy.


For those not familiar with the term, I’m talking illness here. A particularly nasty and virulent little virus that has put me well and truly on my you-know-what. In fact yesterday saw me transformed into a bedbound, coughing, hacking, snot monster. And it had been such a good week too.

By the way, what do we think to the new look? Pretty snazzy isn’t it? I’ve spent a fair bit of time playing around on Blogger to get a different look and, after several different templates had come and gone, I finally settled on this one. I like it anyway.

The change in look comes at quite an opportune time too as this was also the week that saw me make a fresh venture into the world of gainful employment. As of the Monday of last week I have been working for a well-known debt charity, work I can already tell will be rewarding in many ways. 

I must admit that, although hugely positive about my fresh start, when I went for my interview with my new employers I did have my misgivings. Not about the company or the vital work they do, but more about that old chestnut that is accessibility.

I now work (or will be once training is finished.) on the seventh floor of a nine story office building something that is less than ideal for a wheelchair user. There are lifts of course. If there weren’t I don’t think I’d be writing this, either because I didn’t take the job offer or because I was far too tired after dragging myself up all those stairs.


Oh, and I forgot to mention that the building itself is on the first floor (that’s the second floor for any Americans reading.) so a further trip in what must be the slowest and most awkward lift I’ve ever come across! It’s one of those movable platform type of affairs where you need to keep your finger on the button the whole trip. It’s not quick, takes an age to call, and the doors! Let’s just say that I could probably get in an out about three times before the automatic door decides to ponderously yet unstoppably close.

So yes, there are challenges to my new workplace. The fact that the only accessible loo is on the ground floor not least amongst them. I do get the feeling however that the work will be sufficiently rewarding to outweigh all of this. I’m certainly optimistic

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment