Sunday 10 January 2016

Bad Language

Hello dear readers!

Life From A Seated Perspective is brought to you today by the letter I and the number two.

The reason for this is that, for this particular post, I'm going to be concentrating on two particular words (well one word and one turn of phrase really.) that really grind my gears.



Don't worry though; I'm not going all PC brigade on you. There will be no outlawing of said terms, no finger pointing, and no banning of anyone who chooses to add dissenting comments (by the way there is a comments box if you'd like to leave feedback, or ask any questions, just so you know). Nor would I want to give the impression that I'm speaking on behalf of all disabled people, seated or not, as what follows serves only as my own personal opinion.

In fact all I'd like to do really is to hopefully encourage people to think a litle about the power that words can have, and how expressions that, to one person, can seem harmless can in fact be extremely problematic to another.

The first of my chosen targets is the word 'Invalid' a term that is perhaps a little old fashioned these days and is hopefully falling out of use. You can still see it however, now and then, and in fact as recently as 1995 it was possible to claim invalidity benefit. It has come to my own attention in a couple of places. One was an accessible(ish) toilet in my native Pudsey (the one by the park, for any locals.). Now, this fine, slightly smelly facility is of a certain age which probably accounts for the word's appearance, but surely the signage could be updated in some way? The other is perhaps a little more worrying. In researching this post I utilised a little web-fu and found the term 'invalid scooters' bought up more than a couple of results, not good.

As I’ve said though, it's a little used term, which is extremely old fashioned. Why then do I find it so very objectionable? Well let's have a look at the word itself shall we? When written down I think it becomes very clear why I dislike it particularly. All it takes is just a small movement of the stress from the first syllable to the second to change the meaning of the word to one that I think anyone would find problematic. Casting doubts, as it does, on the validity of an individual’s very existence and making a judgement on their suitability to take part in society is a huge thing, an exclusory thing, yet there it is encapsulated in a word that is still used, however rarely. That is why I have such a problem with it. It effectively relegates a whole group of people to second class, unfit to take part in the human race, disqualified, not even a person. Yes, It’s a nasty little word alright.

The second bit of language you may think pales by comparison to the above but, as the long suffering Mrs Seated Perspective can tell you, it is one I never fail to correct people on. The phrase I'm talking about is 'In a wheelchair'.

Now I know what you’re thinking. How could I possibly have an issue with a term that describes me so fittingly? Well here's the thing, a lot of the time those three particular words do indeed fit me like a glove. There is indeed a wheelchair and I am indeed sitting in it… That is, of course, unless I'm not.

Let’s take now for instance. At this exact moment I am not in a wheelchair. I am in fact on a couch (settee if you prefer) and in a little while I'll be in a bed. I'm sure you get the drift.

You see, what that innocent little expression does is it takes something that is a tool, albeit a very necessary tool, and puts it at the centre of a person’s identity. It puts a stress on the tool at the expense of the one using it. It also, to me, suggests the two are inseparable, almost that one owes it's being to the other like some kind of symbiote. There are times of course when such a descriptor becomes necessary. For instance, if you were pointing me out in a crowd it is far more of an identifying peculiarity than, say, hair colour and therefore much more likely to have the desired effect. When such an instance occurs there is a term that I find much more fitting however and that is 'Wheelchair user'.  Immediately this slight change puts the emphasis away from the tool and on to the person taking advantage of that tool, the individual. It is also an accurate descriptor wherever I happen to be sat at the time and takes no longer to say or indeed to type.

So there, dear readers, you are. There are other words and expressions we could discuss but I'm probably getting dangerously close to being rant-y and the hour is becoming late. I shall leave you then to ponder on the above and come to your own conclusion as to what, exactly, is in a word.

Until next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment