Wednesday 2 September 2015

Sooner Or Later Everyone Goes To The Zoo

Hello Dear Readers!

Well the last week has been eventful. For a starter a first and indeed a second interview have taken place at the previously mentioned purveyor of soft furnishings. The first of these went well, as evidenced by the resulting second. As to that, well a phone call that should take place before the end of the week will be the final word on how it went, until then I'm entirely unsure.

In my somewhat limited experience of these things, one can leave interviews with a definite feeling of the impression you've made whether that be good or bad but in this case I just don't know. It probably doesn't help that the interview was completely different from what I was expecting. From the phone call inviting me to come back I had come to the conclusion that it would be a behavioural style interview with questions asking about times I had done/shown X (X being the desired behaviour or competency).In reality it was a much more informal affair and I'm actually struggling to think of more than about three questions I was actually asked. So having left the premises all I could wonder is if I had done enough. This has led to much worrying and I know that until I hear I'll be watching the phone like a hawk. It might sound dramatic but I feel like some kind of expectant father.

So, what else? Well as you might possibly infer from the title of the post, the last week has also included a lovely family day out to the zoo, Chester Zoo to be exact. It's not a place I've been before but it is one I'd love to revisit.

We rocked up with yours truly, the long suffering Mrs Seated Perspective, my 15 year old step-daughter and my lovely mother-in-law who usually gets around quite well with the use of sticks (and those only thanks to a botched knee replacement). Chester zoo being one of the largest in the UK however the decision was made to rent her a wheelchair for the day, meaning we would have not one but two sets of wheels to consider.

We had tried to rent a mobility scooter but apparently those dry up pretty fast, meaning we were left with a large, cumbersome chair that could probably have seated a family of five in relevant comfort. Honestly this thing was as broad as my chair is long! On the plus side, and as one might expect given the wheelchair rental facilities, the Zoo itself was impressively wheelchair friendly. Doors were large enough and not too heavy, accessible toilets were available at regular intervals and really the only downside were a couple of steep rises, one of which was a bridge over animal enclosures. They even had a lift up to the Orang-utan house. As this was one creature I had particularly wanted to see (Blame the late great Terry Pratchett.) that definitely got a big tick from me.

There was one nagging note of frustration however, although not one the Zoo itself could really prevent. The people! On more than one occasion I found myself viewing the lesser spotted back of someone's kids rather than the decidedly more majestic creature I had come to see. In fact it was a pattern that repeated itself through the day, unruly kids and thoughtless adults pushing to the front blocking myself and my Mother-n-law from nature’s endless majesty. I may have caught an apology once but then it could well have been my frustrated imagination or possibly a baboon. Still we didn’t let it spoil the day and overall I would certainly recommend it as a day out for the seated and non-seated alike.

Oh, and before I go, there is one other reason for the post title. This has also been the week in which I introduced the step-daughter to Ferris Bueller's Day Off one of my all-time favourite films and the source of the very quotey title, her opinion? Epic. I think that means good.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment