Sunday 28 February 2016

She's Not Really All That Long Suffering



Hello Dear Readers!
Yes, it’s another Sunday night and time for yet another blog entry from your friendly neighbourhood seated person, Yay! This particular offering is rather special too, as it comes to you via the requests of not one, but two very special ladies.


The first of these is a regular reader and long-time fan of this blog. She is a lady I’ve known all my life and in fact I like to call her Mum, mainly because that is exactly what she is; my very own rather lovely mother. Mum has been a follower of my posts from the beginning really and has been hugely supportive throughout; offering feedback, encouragement and risking multiple friendships by sharing the blog on a regular basis.

Thus it was, that upon meeting up with the folks for a spot of tea earlier this week, talk naturally turned to my attempts to put words on a page in an informative and somewhat entertaining manner.  As always, Mother dearest had some kind words for me as aleways, but she also provided what I’m sure will turn out to be an invaluable bit of constructive criticism. It would appear that my last few posts may have been a little lacking in the humour department which in turn could lead them to being perceived as, potentially, just a little bit, ever so slightly… Ranty.

I can only apologise if this is the case, I guess it can be easy to get caught up in the emotions of my posts now and then. Whatever the cause I will endeavour to do better in the future and get back to my bright, breezy and jocular best. By the way, what’s orange and sounds exactly like a parrot? Too much? Yeah, you’re probably right.

Anyway dear readers, having got that nicely out of the way it’s time to get on to the main thrust of today’s post. This is, of course (for those of you who have been paying attention) the second special lady I mentioned above. This is a woman who I am closer to than any other, one who shares my life, my love and is apparently legally entitled to roughly half of all my worldly goods. I am of course talking about the wonderful woman you may know as Mrs Seated Perspective.

You see, when I mentioned that little family get together I neglected to mention that there were actually four people around the table, namely myself, my parents and, as I’m sure you have by now guessed, my good lady wife. 

This led to the second bit of constructive criticism, namely that the lady in question deserved, well, naming. Now when such feedback is given to one by one’s own wife it deserves consideration. When that wife is sat next to your mother and they are in agreement well, then it’s definitely time to pin the old lugholes back and pay attention.
Having said that it does seem only right that in a blog that is, at least in part, of an autobiographical bent I introduce the woman I share it with. So here goes. Drum roll please!

Mrs S—P actually goes by the name of… Tina. We’ve been married for three and a half blissful years now, years not without their dramas, including far too much familiarity with hospital wards, but also with a lot of laughter to help see us though them. What else can I tell you? Well we met online, as I think a lot of couples do these day. It’s a very useful service for the disabled dater and meant we’d talked a lot before we met face to face and Tina was fully aware of my disability well in advance of that. From the start she saw the person not the chair, is able to puncture my stubbornness (on occasion anyway!) and has even been known to give the wheelchair a push on occasion, particularly if people are watching. If I can get her to let me know when she’s stopped pushing, especially when we’re headed downhill that would be a bonus but then I suppose you can’t have everything.

On the face of it we’re very different people. Tina is as devoutly religious as I am most definitely not, as anti-football as I am a massive fan and for some bizarre and inexplicable reason she absolutely refuses to watch Doctor Who. We do both love horror films, as well as a range of rather geekish TV shows. She even watched all seven seasons of Buffy The vampire Slayer with me so, you know, kudos for that. Most of all though we share a sense of humour which I think is absolutely vital. She’s certainly the only person who can get away with calling me ‘golf club legs’.

It can be hard, as a disabled person, to meet romantic interests. So I consider myself incredibly lucky to have met a woman who truly is my other half. It’s difficult these days to imagine how I managed without her. Aaaand that's prrobably a good place to leave things, before they devolve into a mush of over sentimental clichés. I wouldn't want to be responsible for any upset stomachs!  

Oh and the answer to the joke? A Carrot. A carrot is orange and sounds exactly like a parrot. It’s my all time favourite joke which probably tells you all you need to kno about that shared sense of humour. (actually, that’s my joke – Tina sneakily writes !) (No it bloody isn’t, Mark retorts.)

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment