Sunday 21 February 2016

Keep On Squeezing

Hello dear readers!

Those of you that have the misfortune of being regular followers of my weekly ramblings may remember that last week I touched upon those moments of serendipity where life throws up that much needed inspiration. Well this week it happened again. If I'm completely honest, right up until today I had no idea what this week's post was going to be about. Then, this very morning, I read a story that made everything crystal clear.


In fact the first creative rumblings may owe quite a lot to a conversation I was having with a friend over a few Jack and Cokes this past Friday. I had arranged to meet a couple of former workmates for the aforementioned couple of drinks and we had got to the stage of the evening where the party had been reduced to just the two of us. (Well, I did see my best man as well that evening, but that's another story.) The conversation was still flowing in a lively fashion however, and somehow we got on to the subject of disability and the day to day challenges that can crop up for those that have one. It was nothing like the situation I mentioned in my last post. (see It's Not Just A Poorly Leg for details.) The gentleman in question had that existing relationship, had already gained permission to talk of such things, and was doing so in a setting that was fitting to the conversation.

Anyway, to get back to the point, one subject that was touched on within that conversation was people who become disabled. By that, I'm talking about those people who, in the midst of their lives, suffer some event, whether illness, injury, or some other tragedy, that results in them going from a 'normal' life to having to deal with some impairment, whether physical or mental. Now it may have been due to the influence of Jack and/or the pint I downed for a challenge little later in the evening; it my have been the stress of the job interview I had the next day, (I know, I know, dangerous play), or it may just be because I have a memory like a stunned goldfish after three sleepless nights, but whatever the reason this conversation disappeared deep in to the recesses of my muddled mind.

That was, until this morning. That was when, whilst rummaging through twitter, trying to find something to occupy me whilst I breakfasted, I found the story of Jayne Dickinson. You can read that story here. This  brought that conversation back to my mind in stark relief and even made me recall a recent viewing of The Theory Of Everything, for obvious reasons . Reading her story, it is plain to see that her life was turned upside down by her accident. It was a freak incident, one that should have never happened but it did and it's effects were both far reaching and severe.

Now, reading Jayne's own words I'm guessing that sympathy is the last thing that she is looking for. Nevertheless it is cases like hers that do indeed invoke that very emotion in me. I have been disabled since birth you see, and although I have my challenges to face, my bears to cross, and my demons to fight, these are things that I've always had to deal with. To put it more plainly this is my life. It's what I'm used to. Everyone has their own battles to win in life, I just see mine as being that little bit more visible. What people like Jayne have had though is something else, a different perspective of life, one that, although obviously not free of trials, would have included such simple pleasures as walks in the park, running, competing in sport, dancing, and as in Jayne's case, acting. Then suddenly what had been a pleasure is suddenly a hardship, or in some cases, an impossibility.

I can only imagine what that's like; the emotions that must flood an individuals mind, the fear, sorrow and anger that must haunt them. Not to mention the stress it must put on their relationships. To lose something like that from your life and have to adjust to that loss must be horrendously hard. Independence is something I struggle for, sometimes a tad too hard, but to have had that independence and to see it ripped away, well I can only admire the strength of character and mental fortitude it takes. I think it's stories like this that make me realise that, although I have those all too visible challenges in my life, I am in fact incredibly lucky to have the life I have now. It certainly brings home how earth shattering it would be should something happen to upset the proverbial applecart and rob me of the remaining autonomy I have.

There is an old saying that goes 'Live every day as if thy last'  and I think that holds very true. As stories like Jayne's, and indeed Professor Hawkins', shows it only takes a fraction of a second for a life to change, so live for today, squeeze every moment of happiness you can out of it, then squeeze a little bit more. Maybe that's it, maybe that's the secret to a happy life... Just keep on squeezing

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment