Sunday 27 December 2015

Short And Sweet

Hello, dear readers!

So, that's it for another year then. The show is over. Soon the tree will come down, the tinsel put back in its box and all that will remain will be memories and enough turkey to last another month or three.

And the presents of course. Let’s not forget the presents.

Assuming that all you lovely people were on Santa's nice list did we get anything nice this year? Anything particularly thoughtful from our nearest and dearest?

I have to admit that, despite the likely occasional appearance of yours truly on the naughty list, I did particularly well. I scored a new coat and scarf for the purposes of walking the hound, a very optimistic book about making a career in writing and a new pair of gloves (black leather police gloves, very nice) amongst other lovely and very thoughtful presents. It would appear that I owe more than a few of these to this very blog which is fantastic and proves that at least some people are reading my meandering scribbles. Whilst I think about it I must remind myself to blog about how great the Xbox one and Creed aftershave is in the run up to next Xmas. No real reason why,

I have to say though that, no offence to any of my not so secret Santas, the star of the show was most definitely provided by the long suffering Mrs Seated Perspective.

You see, a large, festively wrapped box has graced the Seated Perspective household for the last week or so, tempting me with its present-y presence. I have remained strong though. I have declined the proffered hints and clues as to what lay inside, avoided peeling back 'just one corner' of wrapping paper, and stayed steadfast in my refusal to give it even the smallest of shakes

So it was that as Xmas day dawned and I reverted to the mentality of an eight year old, a huge surprise was still in store for me. I was directed to open that particular present first and ripped off the first piece of snowflake adorned paper eagerly. It wasn't long before I spied a word that filled me with joy and excitement in equal measures: Gaggia!

To those of you that are unaware of the significance of this word, Gaggia are an Italian coffee machine company renowned for their excellent range of espresso machines. For a coffee snob such as myself owning such a machine has always been a bit of a dream, and now that dream is a reality. Now I can enjoy a proper espresso whenever I want... I can (theoretically) also make americanos, lattes, cappuccinos, macchiato and just about anything else on the high street chains menus but it's espresso in particular I'm most excited about.

Yes it comes in small doses, but that intense, naturally sweet, naturally bitter little drink, topped with its gorgeous little blanket of crema, is a beast of a unique kind, totally different than any of the aforementioned drinks, or my usual filter coffee. The fact that Mrs S P knows this, or at least knows that I know this, is a mark of how special a gift this is, for she is not a great lover of coffee in the slightest (half a shot in a gingerbread latte is about her speed.). The fact that she is willing to give up a small portion of the kitchen for my obsession makes this gift mean all the more then.

Short, sweet, complex and tasty... Hmm, maybe I married an espresso.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment