Wednesday 4 September 2024

Side Effects

Hello, dear reader!

Yes, I’m back!

And my word does it feel good!

Well, no. Not entirely.

Hospital Visitor
Last week’s blog post was conspicuous by its absence, something necessitated by a rather nasty (suspected) UTI that struck out of nowhere and in the space of twenty four hours had me go from my usual chipper demeanour to a tired, achy…poorly…shell of a man. It wasn’t nice.




In fact, it was so not nice that I and my wúnder-wifey, Tina, spent most of the day following this dramatic collapse at Dewsbury A&E. A course of action we’d decided on the day before (should my condition not improve), partly due to it being a bank holiday weekend, and partly because that morning had seen me very nearly fall over while putting my trousers on.

As the above, trouser based incident made the thought of driving seem somewhat unwise, we leaned on the help of my sis-in-law, Jen to drive us to the hospital, checked in and got into some quality waiting.

The Drugs Might Work
In all, the ordeal (if ordeal it was) lasted four hours, in which time I was triaged, had blood and urine taken (I’m used to the latter, but not in the literal sense), saw a doctor, had the blood retaken because the first batch was mis - labelled and is, presumably, still sloshing around the system somewhere. After a touch more waiting, I was then given a fourteen day course of Trimethoprim which I’m due to complete on Friday.

So, with medication flowing through my system, how come I’m still not at my tip-tippety-top, health wise?



My thoughts are that at this stage it’s the drugs not playing particularly well with my MS or other related health conditions. Don’t get my wrong, I’m a million miles away from the sweaty, shivering, appetite free mess I was ten days ago. I’m still weary, though. There’s a dragging, insistent, abiding, drain on my physical and mental capacities. One that a quick nap or a good night’s kip doesn’t touch. It’s making everything that little bit more difficult, including these few, poor words.  

I guess the acid test will be when I finish the course of antibiotics. At that point it should be relatively easy to differentiate. It might take a day or two for the Trimethoprim to flush out of my system, but should I still be feeling that insipid pull after that, then another trip to the docs may well be in order

Only time will tell.

Until next time.


#


Hey, there! If you enjoyed reading any of the above, why not take a look at some of my published work? Below you’ll find links to a number of short stories I’m lucky enough to have included in anthologies. I’d love to know what you think.


New Tales Of Old


Death Ship


Pestilence: Drabbles 1


Reaperman: Drabbles 3


The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu


Eldritch Investigations

No comments:

Post a Comment