Wednesday 3 January 2024

The Aim Game

Hello, dear reader!

And a happy new year, one and all!

As is the norm at this time of change and renewal, I intend to spend a little time reflecting on the year just gone, and a little time exploring the possibilities of the one to come, because, you see, the dust has just about settled on 2023. 

It was a year of quite significant change for myself and, especially, for my wúnderwifey, Tina. A year that included the wonderful, exciting chance for Tina to spread her wings and re-enter the world of gainful, and rewarding employment in a role she is ideally suited for (once a certain former employer get’s its thumb out of its posterior and sends her references in).

On Your Marks
It’s not formally started yet, but the promise of that new opportunity means we enter 2024 full of hope and some small measure of optimism for the good that might come out of it. It’s a good start, and it promises a lot more.


As for me, well, there was less in the way of excitement, and, perhaps, just a little more frustration.

I wrote back in September about my struggles with my wheelchair. A necessary piece of equipment, but one that is speedily (and, believe me, this is the only thing it does at speed at the moment) devolving into a collection of scrap metal and worn rubber. Since that post a whole lot of nothing has happened and the first week of this new year sees me struggling along in a ‘chair that was written off nearly four months ago.

Win-dow
Still, we managed to get new windows fitted (to the house you understand. We're not talking extreme cosmetic surgery here), meaning this winter has not been quite as, um, wintery as the last one. The wind may blow, but it no longer blows directly into our lounge. I’m calling that a win.

And that, unless Tina can think of anything else, wraps up 2023 for us. A year of growing expenditure, and tightening budgets, but one that we, in our own small and inexpensive way, found time to enjoy here and there. Was it ideal? No. But at least we didn’t find ourselves in one of the rapidly expanding list of warzones. Another win.

Which takes us on to next, that is, this year.

Low Resolution
Now, I’m not really one for making resolutions. I find they can lead to unrealistic goal setting and apply too much self-imposed pressure to be perfect in achieving them. A diet that doesn’t last. A gym membership that becomes an unused and unnecessary direct debit. Too often, resolutions lead to disappointment.



Instead, what I like to do is to set down a few aims and desires. Not promises I will inevitably beat myself up for breaking, but small and loosely held ambitions.

The first of these is the compulsory and oft repeated desire to get more healthy. Next year sees me (hopefully) hit a landmark birthday, and I would much rather be fit at fifty than be fat at fifty. Plans are already afoot for this aim, and I’ll share more on that with you at a later date.

What else?

The Two Rs
Well, last year I set an aim of reading a book a month, something that, with the help of the Rivers Of London series, I smashed. So let’s try for that again, eh?
 

Going alongside reading is, of course, writing, and I’d love to have a novel published this coming year. With that in mind, I plan to do more writing, explore a new idea, and get busy with querying publishers and literary agents. Of course, the result of this querying is very much dependent on the people at the end of the begging letters, but if an opportunity fails to present itself then perhaps it will be time to ad it to the pile of things I can’t control, and take a look at the cost of self-publishing. It’s not my ideal, but it’s a strong second choice.

And I think that will do. I don’t want to overburden myself, after all. I’ve only got all year.


Until next time…


#


Hey, there! If you enjoyed reading any of the above, why not take a look at some of my published work? Below you’ll find links to a number of short stories I’m lucky enough to have included in anthologies. I’d love to know what you think


New Tales Of Old


Death Ship


Pestilence: Drabbles 1


Reaperman: Drabbles 3


The Musketeers Vs Cthulhu


Eldritch Investigations

No comments:

Post a Comment