Sunday 17 June 2018

Up For The Cup

Hello dear readers!

I have heard it said that there is a bright side to everything.

It’s an assertion I would challenge, if I’m honest; one that seems to err on the side of sheer bloody minded optimism, but, in certain cases at least, it might bear some fruit.

At the moment it’s fruit that I am more than happy to pick.

Mind Games
It’s fair to say that the last year has been somewhat turbulent. It would be fairer to say that it has seen the good ship Seated Perspective navigate three tropical storms, two hurricanes and perhaps the odd tsunami. Definitely not plain sailing.

So, what, you may ask, is the reason for the sudden outbreak of mindless positivity? Well, that would have a lot to do with the beautiful game known as football.

The Ball Is Round
Now, just to avoid any confusion this is not the game where people dress up in suits of armour to throw a rugby ball a few yards at a time. No, this is the game where one generally kicks an actually spherical ball… with ones foot. Ball... Foot… Well, you do the maths.



There is you see a small tournament called the World Cup that has just started. A four week footy festival, a meeting of nations from right around the globe. It’s an event played every four years but for this avid armchair (or at least wheelchair) supporter, the 2018 World Cup provides a first, an opportunity that has never before presented itself.

Crowd Control
Previous years you see, would have seen me working. Sure some time would have been booked off. With a little forward planning the three lions three or (dare we dream) four matches before our inevitable exit, possibly on penalties, possibly to Germany (and going by recent competitions that’s a very optimistic possibility), would probably have been catered for. A few beers and maybe a bucket of vindaloo, bought in. The next day’s workplace hangover, suffered with noble fortitude, at least until the very last drop of hope ran out.

The rest though, well that would have to be a case of hurriedly horse-traded shift swaps coupled with scheduled breaks spent trying to see some portion of the telly in the canteen from between the forest of those who got there first.

Not this year though.

Club V Country
This year I have nothing but time. Thanks to last years decision to put work on hold I am currently jobless. A shirker of shifts. A benefit claiming burden on broken Britain. And much as I would have it any other way, it looks like that is set to continue, at least for now. It’s given me a heck of a lot of spare time.



Trying to fill that time has been harder that I thought it might be. Being time rich has been coupled with being cash poor, which is not a great combination. I needed something to do, something to throw myself into.

A Game of One Half
There are at least three matches being played every day for the next two weeks. For a true football fanatic, a man who follows the highs and considerable lows of both club (Leeds United. Shut up Josh) and country (England. Not great, but not Scotland) this is just heavenly.

As I write we are four days into the tournament. There have been nine matches so far, with one just about to kick off. I have managed to watch most of all of these and even done so with my wife Tina’s blessing and partial participation. I guess love really has got the world in motion. In fact so far I’ve have only missed one half of one match, thanks to a mix of driving and cooking (not at the same time you understand. That would be a health and safety nightmare). It’s a record I fully intend to keep up.



Exciting Times
I might not make it. I might burn out at some point, possibly half way through Japan v Senegal but I hope not. This World Cup, coupled with an upcoming trip to London, the announcement of yet another new manager (rated by Mauricio Pochettino and Pep Guardiola, no less) coming through the revolving door at Elland Road, and a half filled Panini sticker album has given me something to really get my teeth into. Something to feel impassioned about and of course, England have still to play

All together now.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment