Sunday 25 June 2017

Losing It

Hello dear readers!

You may be seeing a little less of me from now on.

No, I’m not shutting the blog down (what do you mean ‘awwww’!), and in fact I have actually had some idle thoughts of expanding my burgeoning empire. With work commitments and other writing projects to consider though I wouldn’t start holding your breath waiting for that to happen.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Allow me to expand on my downsizing.

World Of Adventure
Those of you that have followed this blog for a while (you lucky people, you), may recall that my good lady wife Tina, and I, both joined Slimming World a while back. If you don’t then you can find that particular adventure here

Now as I mentioned in the above entry I am not what you might call one of nature’s joiners. I tend to be a bit of an introvert, and although I can be as social as the next person, especially after a JD & coke or, um, several, I do tend to fare better with reasonably small groups of people.


The Kindness Of Strangers
Sitting amongst perhaps twenty or so perfect strangers then, is something that certainly does not come completely natural and in that first meeting or two I do have to admit to feeling just that little bit uncomfortable. I was certainly glad to have Tina alongside me!

That time has passed though. After six meetings I’m starting to get to know people, if not always by name due to my cracked sieve of a memory, then certainly well enough to share a few words with. Truth be told, the group is not entirely comprised of the ladies of a certain age that some cliches may have you believe.. They’re a mixed bunch of people, different ages, backgrounds and, yes, even gender. It was most definitely a comfort to find that I wasn’t the only man at that first meeting, and, although still the minority by a considerable distance, there were at least enough of my fellow men-folk to make up, if not a football team, then a reasonably well stocked subs bench.

Hospital Food
Still, if life has taught me anything, and it almost certainly hasn’t, it’s that people are people no matter their demographic. I am very happy to report, therefore that the people in the group are to a person, supportive, inclusive and, well, just plain nice. It certainly makes life easier, especially when, without a word being said, I've found a space cleared for my wheelchair and the removed chair placed next to the scales for the purposes of balance and not weighing ”fourteen stone and... someone get this man an ambulance!”


How much!
Of course, I’m not attending the meetings solely for the company. No, there is a serious point to it (Well as serious as I get anyway). I knew that I’d not been living clean for a while, and that married bliss had perhaps caused me to be a little complacent when it came to the matter of my expanding waistline. It was still a shock though to discover that my weight had increased to a smidge under fifteen stone! This does include the weight of my boots, which are more akin to something a knight might wear than ballet slippers but the news was still enough to make me feel like a baby elephant that had been rolled in butter and force fed double cream.

But Nice!
Motivation, from that point on was not a problem. Myself and Tina both threw ourselves into the Slimming World experience and I think that it’s fair to say that we have both been delighted with the results so far. In six weeks we are, as a couple two stone lighter. In that time neither of us have gone hungry or necessarily felt like we were on a diet, and both of us have won a much coveted Slimmer Of The Week certificate. We even, having reached personal landmarks last weigh-in decided to celebrate with a Chinese (Chicken in black bean 7 Syns, boiled rice, free). I may have accidentally ordered salt & pepper wings as well however which was just a tad naughty.



The Spice Of Life
I’m not gong to say that it’s always been easy. Working shifts, as we both do, has presented it’s challenges, especially when it comes to preparing,cooking and serving the food that supplies us with the much needed variety we crave. Just to add to this, the last week has seen a potentially broken freezer, and a poorly wife added into the mix. Staring down the snack machine in Dewsbury A&E (who by the way are amazing, despite the under-funding) at two a.m. was a real test of mettle, but it was one I’m glad to say we both passed.

A Balanced Diet
So it is onward we go, together as always, and the slimmer, healthier life we are already getting a taste for can only get even better from here on in. I’m comfortable that at least some of the changes we’re making will prove to be sustainable in the long term, although, of course, a balance will be achieved.

Now if we could only get the grocery bill under control.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment