Sunday 6 November 2016

Proper Job


Hello dear readers! 

Unemployment is starting to get just a little old. 

At first sight it may seem like having all day to do as much or as little as one wants to do is some kind of utopian ideal, but it would appear that a mere fourteen days in, that illusion is already wavering somewhat. 

Yes folks, I need a job. The question is... Which job?

Gainfully Unemployed
Not that I'm saying that I've been completely idle in my current period of vocational embarrassment, far from it in fact.  

I don't think there's ever an ideal time to find one's self out of work but if there is then this could indeed be it. With the recent house move (see Changing Rooms for more details on that) there comes a multitude of jobs that need doing, both large and small. 

There's also a whole range of appointments that have needed to be arranged, mostly for time-slots that could potentially inconvenience the gainfully employed. 


We're talking everything from blinds to flooring, lighting to kitchen deliveries, an ongoing batle with an internet and TV provider who shall remain anonymous but could possibly rhyme with Birgin Dedia (possibly), and, perhaps more unusually, a visit from an Occupational Therapist (of which more will be shared in a future post). Yes, with all of that and the task of finding our missing (and thankfully now found) moggy (see It Never Rains, But It Pours) it's been a busy old time at the all new Seated Perspective Towers, and that looks like being the status quo for the foreseeable.  You can probably understand then, why the job search has yet to begin in earnest. 

There is another reason though, one that has been the cause of more than a little existential pondering. 

Careering around
To date, pretty much all of what I laughingly call my career has been spent in call centres of one stripe or another.  This, I'm sure you can understand, is work that is reasonably suited to what I look for in a job in that it is indoor work with no heavy lifting. 

As a disabled person and wheelchair user, there are certain jobs that are, well lets just say... unsuitable. 

Realistically speaking I was never cut out to be a builder for instance, nor was a career in the emergency services ever really on the cards. Working in a shoe shop, well when you've no idea what size your own massively mismatched feet are... 


via GIPHY

The point is that call centres are what I know, financial services is what I know and this is very much reflected in my C.V... But I don't want to do that any more. 

This has left me flailing around, trying to find something that I do want to do, and that's harder then one might think. 

The Zero Degrees
Given an absolute free choice I'd do this for a living. Writing has grown to be something I find hugely enjoyable, extremely rewarding and which, the odd (sometimes very odd) typo aside, I seem to have some small knack for, if feedback is to be believed that is.  

So, lets do that then, eh? 

Well, unfortunately I don't have an absolute free choice.

Being situated in the north of England, in the beautiful county of Yorkshire, a whole two hundred miles away from London, means that opportunities to pursue actual paid work in the field are somewhat limited, especially with a lack of that oh so useful experience. 

Having only passing familiarity with universities (in that I once passed one) and exactly three less degrees than the popular all girl soul combo, only serves to compound this, raising mission difficult to at least mission implausible.  


Rocks & Hard Places
Perhaps I'm being too negative. Perhaps I'm putting obstacles in the way that aren't there but it does feel that  if I'd had an inkling of what I wanted to do at an earlier age I might have been able to ease my way along my belatedly chosen career path with a little more, um, ease. 

,What I do know is that with my last payday having come and gone it won't be too much longer before the wolves are, if not at the door, then at least pulling up in the wolfmobile and checking they have the right address.  

Christmas is coming and the geese are getting fat. If we're going to afford one, along with the presents, tinsel and other accoutrements of the season then a job is going to have to become a reality sooner rather than later, which may mean having to make some hard decisions. 

Do not ask for whom the call centre calls...  


Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment